Friday, June 3, 2011

Reflections on The Proverbs Challenge

One of the reasons I did the Proverbs Challenge was because I’d never seen it done in the blog world. In the blog world, there are all sorts of challenges – no makeup for 7 days, a different hairstyle every day, eating with no sugar, reading a book a month, body toning exercises, etc. – so I thought, why not a daily Bible reading challenge?

A challenge on its face seems hard, but by its very nature is also doable. It’s called a challenge because it requires some discipline and thought on the individual’s part – it won’t happen by itself. The definition of challenge is a test of one's abilities or resources in a demanding but stimulating undertaking. At the end of a challenge, there’s the satisfaction of completion (this may be the only reward), but there’s also knowledge gained about yourself or the process, and a feeling of accomplishment.

Here’s what I gained from doing the Proverbs Challenge:

God’s word has our best interests at heart; we fight it because we think we know better, but when you get right down to it if we choose to live the way outlined in the Bible, we’d be better for it.

The Bible guides all the interactions in my life.

Humility before honor – seems like we all want to be lauded, but no one wants to put in the hard work; no one wants to submit (to authority, rules, and principles). Everyone wants to do it their way.

Now that I’ve done it, I can encourage others to attempt it.

It provided focus – something to look forward to on a daily basis. My time with God each day became special.

God is faithful – He always comes through. I never knew what I would write until I actually started typing. I typically pray before I read, asking God to make his word clear to me; to keep it in my memory; and for opportunities throughout the day to use what I’ve read. Every day He came through for me.

Nothing in our lives is too big or too small for God – we saw that in Proverbs.

It gave me a new thirst for God’s Word ; now I’m thinking of what next and how do I share it with you?

Use the gifts that you are given – I’ve always loved reading and writing and this challenge was another way to do both.

Looking at things through my father’s eyes. Have you ever heard that song? This challenge refined my perspective.

Wisdom is available – all you have to do is ask for it and it’s available in boundless supply.


  • Women - we are special and have more influence than we are aware of. As a wife, we are a good thing. We can be odious, and contemptible and drive those we live with far from us or we can be virtuous and wise and reap priceless rewards. This theme was repeated often throughout the book of Proverbs.


I appreciated all your comments and all your visits during this challenge. I’d love to hear your thoughts now that you’ve completed the challenge.

How did this challenge help you?

2 comments:

  1. I would be happy to join you on this challenge. You should create a post asking other bloggers to join in with you and we can come back and talk about what we really did and what we really didn't do. Either way it would be very inspiring! Let me know..you have my email!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonia, thanks. Now that I'm becoming a more savvy blogger, I will do the challenge again at some point in the future. I did the challenge during the month of May.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments; but please be kind. Unkind comments will be removed.