Sunday, November 20, 2011

Refreshing Rain


Recently, it's been raining frequently here in Southern California; because it's so unusual for over here I actually enjoy it. Today felt like a beautiful east coast fall day with the rain and it gave me a chance to relax and think.

Rain is beautiful - even though so many complain and it seems like an inconvenience, its pros outweigh its cons. Rain waters and refreshes the earth; it cleanses and removes grime; it brings growth.

When I complain about the rain, it's usually because I wasn't expecting and I'm not prepared for it. I may not want my hair to get wet, or catch a cold, or be cold.

One day as a teenager it started to rain profusely and I was totally unprepared - no raincoat, umbrella or boots.  It occurred to me at that very moment that I could complain and grumble or I could enjoy it.  I chose to enjoy it while walking eight city blocks from the subway to my house and I still remember the feeling of floating. I was wet, my hair was matted, but I was smiling as I walked and the rain felt absolutely refreshing. I stopped thinking about myself and I noticed others smiling along with me.

Rain is a blessing, but sometimes it doesn't seem that way. It's all in how you choose to look at it.  As the poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow says, "Into each life some rain must fall." There's a benefit to the rain.

God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. Genesis 1:31

Enjoy the rain, the sun will shine again!

Is it raining where you are? How are you approaching the rain? Do you feel refreshed or aggravated after being in the rain?


2 comments:

  1. I am guilty of complaining about the rain in life. Especially when it wasn't in the forecast. When it is in the forecast I can prepare and be ready.
    But I do agree after the rain the sun does shine again.....and that is what I have to remember.
    Thanks for the much needed reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what?! Today I was aggravated because it was raining and mad as anything but now that I'm reading this...I will need to have a better perspective!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments; but please be kind. Unkind comments will be removed.