Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Gratitude

At the beginning of this year, I decided that I would make a conscious effort to be thankful and here's why.
Being thankful

  • Shifts  your mindset
  • Makes you positive
  • Makes you happy
  • Builds character
  • Improves health
  • Reduces anger

I can attest to all of the above but my attempt at keeping a journal literally did not go so well initially.
Source

 It felt like a chore and I found myself being grateful for the same things everyday - life, health, my family, a roof over my head. But the more I started to think of these things that I was taking granted, the more I realized I had a lot to be thankful for. Even if it seemed trivial, I was going to be thankful.  And by golly now that a quarter of the year is gone it has become incrementally easier to have an attitude of gratitude. I am thankful that the Little One is always happy; I am thankful that I was able to meet my deadline; I am thankful for the beauty of potential; I am grateful that I believe in someone bigger than myself. Sometimes, I'm actually thankful for a messy house.

One morning as I was reading the Bible, this verse jumped out at me and  it seemed to have new meaning:

I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart;
I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done.
 I will be filled with joy because of you.
I will sing praises to your name, O Most High.
Psalm 9:1,2 (NLT)

Even the scriptures were encouraging me to be grateful.  You don't have to write it down, but if that helps you then do so. But more importantly, strive to be grateful every second of every day - it will make a huge difference to you and those around you.

Regardless of your circumstance, I challenge and encourage you to possess an attitude of gratitude.

Do you have an attitude of gratitude?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments; but please be kind. Unkind comments will be removed.