Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day Reflections

Source
I'm grateful to my father - for he was the first reflection of what I thought a father should be. As an adult, I've had conversations with my father about parenthood. His love was unwavering, but looking back there are always things one can do differently, as he has said.
Be that as it may, I have a distinct memory of my dad and I going to McDonald's together during the 84 Olympics. I was 18 at the time, and I'm not sure what prompted the occasion. What I do remember is us being at McDonald's together, sitting, talking and laughing. They had these tear-off games on the fries where you could win additional prizes. My dad was smiling and encouraging me to play. I think I won another order of fries, which we shared.  This memory is in direct contrast to my years growing up with my dad, because he was the disciplinarian, and as a child I could not appreciate this role. I actually did not know what to think of him, but that day at McDonald's made me realize that he was all right. It probably was one of the only times that we have done something like that. Still makes me smile when I think about it.

Memories make an impression. I couldn't articulate to anyone what I was looking for when I found my husband but I am certain he had to possess certain qualities that I had seen reflected all my life. Qualities like:

  • A strong faith in God
  • Quiet yet outspoken
  • Wise
  • An appreciation for life


I found these and more in my husband and today I am glad for the father he is and has been to our children. I am so grateful that they see strong quiet leadership at home. That they see someone who always tries to walk out what they preach. Someone who is silly. Someone who is sensitive. Someone who has shown my children what it means to be a father and a husband.

When I read the Bible I see many imperfect fathers. I also see where God intervenes. Fathers aren't called to be perfect but they are called to be responsible for their offspring...and as my father would say, "to raise them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."


Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 1 Corinthians 6:13The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him.; Psalms 103:13

He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge. Proverbs 14:26


Thank you Father.

1 comment:

I love reading your comments; but please be kind. Unkind comments will be removed.