Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Lost and Found Stories

Source
Four years ago, our younger daughter spent a year with her grandmother in Jamaica. We'd never done anything like this before and it felt like everyone was flying by the seat of their pants. As is the case, preparation for a trip can be taxing, especially when one is to be gone for a significant length of time. We had some cash in the house and thought we would send it down with our daughter in her luggage - what were we thinking? She told us she put it in a secure place in her suitcase and no one would find it. Of course when she gets to Jamaica, and everything is unpacked the money is no where to be found. This was not the best way for her to start her year. A couple of weeks later, the phone rings.
Me: Hello
Caller: AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!
Me: Hello
Caller: We found the money. We found the money. It was in a really safe place in the suitcase.
Me: I can't believe it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Fast forward to this week. Once more this daughter is preparing to travel and we are doing some last minute shopping.
Daughter: Mummy have you seen my wallet?
Me: No
Daughter: Don't panic; I had it with me in the bathroom. Let's retrace our steps.
So we walk through the store a couple of times with no success. In the interim she leaves her contact information with the store. This wallet contained her driver's license, various ids and a credit card. We decided to get a duplicate drivers license at DMV. Believe it or not, bureaucracy was on our side, and we were able to get this accomplished. At some point I had a chat with God, along the lines of, "You told me not to worry or be anxious, you told me to trust you, so I'm trusting and claiming the promises in your word and hoping this has a good end...Amen." At this point the worry dissipated and I was fine with whatever the outcome was going to be and this in and of itself is a huge lesson.  Around 6:00 pm the doorbell rang and a stranger is at the door.
Stranger: You lost something
Me: A wallet
He then proceeds to take the wallet out of his pocket.
Stranger: I saw it in the parking lot of the store, but there was no phone number so I saw the address on the license and decided to stop by.
I'm so glad he did. I screamed then hugged him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What's the point of these stories? As a mother I've dealt with lost homework, book bags, jackets, books, and on a couple occasions, the children themselves.
Sometimes things are just misplaced,other times they are truly lost but we sometimes don't know.
Stay calm - this is very hard for me as my personality does not lend itself to being calm. However God continues to show me the benefit of not worrying but trusting.
Trust God - at the height of my anxiety certain verses rushed in to my brain: Be anxious for nothing....,
It all works out well in the end - regardless of the outcome, I believe all things work together for good to them that love God.
Time and time again, I've seen God worked. So even as she is preparing to travel, I know that I don't have to worry. I know whatever happens, God is in control.
Before I hit publish - I know some of you may be wresting with the outcomes of your situations. I know right now it seems bad, very bad. I don't have the answers for all situations but I shared these two stories because they were big deals at the point in time. When the answers aren't what you expect, turn to God and ask Him. He can deal with your heartbreak also.


26 And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. 27 And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will. 28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:26-28

How does lost and found work for you? Are you calm when things go missing?




2 comments:

  1. I am the worst when things go missing! I can't deal. Just the thought that my something is out there and someone could have it drives me nuts, haha.

    Due to this, I hardly ever lose a thing. Now I'm hoping I did not just jinx myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these lost and found stories because I am like Faith. I can't deal when I lose something. I get upset and it's a lot of wasted energy when there is nothing you can do sometimes until it's ready to be found. I've gotten better about it but not quite to the point where I don't let it phase me.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments; but please be kind. Unkind comments will be removed.